Many visible signs of aging can be attributed to volume loss. As we age, the fat pads that give us our youthful appearance begin to thin and descend, contributing to this volume loss in various areas of the face. This contributes to a phenomenon called “midface descent” characterized by increased fullness of the lower third of the face. Unfortunately, this can make us look worried, sad, or angry even when we are not. Dermal fillers including Juvederm®, Restylane®, Radiesse®, and many others on the market today are FDA approved for injection into various areas of the face to restore volume loss that occurs due to aging.
Benefits of Dermal Fillers:
- Smoothed wrinkles
- Fill folds
- Soften shadows
- Restoration of fat pad loss
- Enhanced fuller lips
- More youthful appearance
- Improved facial contour
- Looking less tired
- Enhanced symmetry and balance
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Patients first meet with the provider and complete a comprehensive facial assessment that includes what brings the patient in for treatment, as well as education of the aging process and role of fillers for both beautification and restoration.
- Following an aesthetic diagnosis, a treatment plan is recommended and explained in detail to the patient. If restoration is the goal, usually the treatments will be spread over a few appointments to allow for a natural, gradual improvement, as opposed to doing it all at once.
- After photos and consents are signed, the treatment area will be cleansed and numbed with a topical anesthetic.
- Injections are performed and the results are immediate.
- As with any injection-based treatment, some swelling and/or bruising may occur, but usually resolves in a few days. The maximum amount of swelling usually occurs the next day and then tapers off after that.
WHY WE LOVE IT
We love dermal fillers because they are one of the most satisfying aesthetic treatments available. Results are immediate, and addressing the loss of subcutaneous fat is extremely effective at reducing the visible signs of aging. It is also a quick, safe and relatively inexpensive treatment compared to cosmetic surgery.
I’ve wanted to try lip fillers for a while but I didn’t want it to look unnatural. After I met with Emily, I felt really comfortable with her approach. I am so happy with the result, my lips are fuller, but still very natural
Frequently Asked Questions:
How long does the treatment take?
The procedure typically takes 30 minutes.
How long does it last?
Hyaluronic-based dermal fillers usually last about one year.
How Long Does It Last?
Since the area is anesthetized, patients typically report not feeling anything. Most often, a numbing cream is applied at least 20 minutes before treatment.
How long is the down-time?
As with any injection-based treatment, some swelling and/or bruising may occur, but usually resolves in a few days. Patients can minimize this by using ice, arnica and eliminating the use of alcohol, turmeric, zinc, fish oil, NSAID medications and other blood-thinners before and after treatment. Discuss this with your provider.
Which filler do I need?
With many dermal filler products on the market today, it can be difficult to know which option is best for you without a knowledgeable and experienced injector’s guidance. Each filler product is uniquely formulated for certain texture, density, flexibility and cohesiveness that all affect how the product integrates into the skin. It is the expertise and technique that guide the providers’ decision in product selection that will optimize results. Discuss this with your provider.